Hi there! I hope all of you had a wonderful and safe Halloween with family and friends. Personally, I consumed one-too-many pieces of Halloween candy and I’m trying to get back on track this week.
Today, for our Meatless Monday meal, I’m sharing a fresh and flavorful “tostada” salad that is full of fresh produce yet still fills you up. It is topped with a tasty chipotle-agave vinaigrette. If you’re looking for an easy dinner that is healthy yet satisfying, look no further!
While there is not a lot of cooking and/or time needed for this salad, most of the work involves washing and chopping the salad ingredients, which can be tedious. So, get your best knife and cutting board ready!
TOSTADA CHOPPED SALAD (VEGAN)
For the salad:
- 3-4 hearts of romaine, chopped
- 4 radishes, sliced and cut into quarters
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 container cherry tomatoes, each tomato cut in half
- 2 fresh corn on the cob, shucked with kernels cut off
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup tortilla strips
- 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar or dairy free cheese (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper
For the dressing:
- 5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons agave (or honey)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo with 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce
- 3 garlic cloves
Note: Feel free to add more chipotle peppers and/or adobo sauce if you like things spicy! As is, the dressing does have a kick to it.
First, wash and chop all the salad toppings: romaine, radishes, green onions, cherry tomatoes, and cilantro.
Next, drain and rinse the black beans under cold water.
Now, it’s time to roast the corn. Cut the corn off the cob. Add the olive oil to a skillet over medium heat.
Add the corn kernels and chopped cilantro, stirring to mix. Continue to stir until corn is roasted to a golden brown color. Remove from heat and set aside.
Next, we make the dressing. This dressing is so good and much better than store-bought with all of those added preservatives. Add all of the dressing ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Combine all the salad ingredients in a big bowl. Top with pumpkin seeds, tortilla strips, and cheese or non dairy cheese. Drizzle with dressing and toss. Enjoy!