As we delve into the busy fall season, I am always searching for easy breakfasts that require little-to-no prep. These overnight oats could not get any easier! They basically make themselves while you are resting away. Also, I found this great Super Seed Blend at Trader Joe’s that is totally optional but makes for added nutrition and deliciousness with cranberries, coconut chips, chia seed, buckwheat, and hemp seed. You can add whatever you’d like to your oats when they’re done, including cinnamon, honey, nuts, dried and fresh fruit, almond butter- the options are endless. I used steel-cut oats for this recipe, but you can use traditional rolled oats instead, just cut back on the amount of almond milk you add.
OVERNIGHT OATS (VEGAN)
- 1 2/3 cup steel-cut oats
- 4 cups almond milk
- 1/4 cup Trader Joe’s Super Seed Blend (optional, can also use plain chia seeds)
- 1 large Tupperware/food storage container, with lid
- fresh fruit for topping
- Mix the oats and almond milk together in a large bowl. Transfer to a large food storage container.
- Sprinkle Super Seed Blend on top of the oat and milk mixture. Seal container with lid.
- Refrigerate oats overnight.
- When ready to eat, warm up oats in the microwave and top with fresh fruit or any other desired toppings.
Autumn is all about cozying up next to the fireplace on a brisk night, preferably with a cocktail and holiday music playing, of course. We love apple cider, and this week we use it as the base of the perfect fall cocktail. It is paired with the whiskey or bourbon of your choice, topped with a cinnamon sugar rim, and garnished with apples and a cinnamon stick. This cocktail is sure to make any fall dinner party (or cozy night in) complete. Also, all of the ingredients are vegan. Cheers!
Ingredients (for one serving):
- 2 oz. whiskey/bourbon, I used Maker’s Mark (Bulleit is also delicious)
- 4 oz. apple cider
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 orange, sliced into quarters
- 1 apple, sliced thin
- cinnamon sticks
Note: You will have enough of the cinnamon sugar mixture and orange to make about four drinks, so you don’t need to increase those quantities for each serving.
First, mix the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. Pour the mixture on a plate or shallow bowl large enough to fit the glass in. Run the orange around the rim of each glass leaving a bit of juice. Place the rim in the cinnamon sugar mixture until well coated.
In a cocktail shaker, combine the whiskey, apple cider, and ice. Shake well. Pour into reserved glass.
Garnish with apple slices and a cinnamon stick. Turn on the holiday music and light the fireplace. Enjoy!