Today we’re continuing our Super Bowl theme with two versions of Jalapeño Poppers! Both are so easy to make and are one of our favorite party foods. If you like spice, these are a must! You can even make them the day before and quickly pop them in the oven before kickoff- more time to mingle with your guests! Nikki will show you how to make 20-minute chorizo and goat cheese jalapeño sliders while Jess shows you classic cheesy vegan jalapeño poppers.
Click the link below to see both recipes and step-by-step instructions!
20-Minute Chorizo and Goat Cheese Jalapeño Poppers
These are my favorite jalapeño poppers (if I can toot my own horn for just a second!) because they are so freakin’ fast to make and also have the perfect ratio of cheese filling to jalapeño. I hate poppers that have way too much cream cheese and not enough spice, and these have just the right amount of kick. The best part is, you can prepare them the day before your Super Bowl party and pop them in the oven as your guests arrive- they only take 10 minutes to cook! Don’t spend your party in the kitchen- you’ll miss the commercials!
- 12 medium-size jalapeños, cut in half lengthwise with seeds and veins removed
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1/4 pound chorizo, cooked with excess grease removed
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- juice and zest of half a lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the broiler to high (if you are serving them same day).
- Prepare the jalapeños- cut in half lengthwise and remove all the seeds and veins so they look something like this inside:
3. In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, goat cheese, cilantro, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, garlic salt, cayenne, and lime juice and zest.
4. Using a small spatula or knife, spread some of the cheese mixture into the empty jalapeño.
5. Top with some chorizo crumbles and arrange on the foil-lined baking sheet.
6. Bake in broiler for 8-10 minutes, until cheese is browned and jalapeños are softened. Serve warm.
Classic Jalapeño Poppers
Jalapeño poppers used to be a big guilty pleasure of mine before my vegan days. The gooey cheesy inside combined with the crunchy fried outside, with a hint of spice-yum!!! The vegan version I’ve whipped up now is so close to the original, you’ll have omnivores begging for seconds! I used Trader Joe’s vegan cream cheese for the inside; I’m not a huge fan of most vegan cream cheese but this one is pretty good! Especially fried 😉 The next guilty pleasure recipe I’m dying to recreate is fried mozzarella cheese sticks dipped in marinara sauce…I’ll let you know how that goes! This recipe makes 10 jalapeño poppers.
- 5 jalapenos, insides cut out. I leave a few seeds in each jalapeño because I love spice!
- Approximately 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup almond or soy milk
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- sprinkle of cayenne pepper
- sprinkle of salt
- sprinkle of pepper
- oil for frying-about 1 cup
Fill each jalapeño with desired amount of cream cheese, I went pretty light, and sprinkle nutritional yeast on top.
In a small shallow bowl pour soy milk in. In another bowl, combine 2 tablespoons flour, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and cayenne, salt and pepper. In another small bowl, pour in bread crumbs.
To prepare each jalapeño first dip it in the soy milk on both sides, then in the flour mixture, then back in the soy milk, then in the bread crumbs. Make sure the popper is coated on both sides. For the bread crumbs, it’s best to kind of burry the jalapeño in the crumbs and then take it out to get the most even coating.
Once all of your jalapeños are prepped, heat the oil in a pot, enough oil so the jalapeño will be covered when it is frying. To check if the oil is hot enough throw in a bread crumb and listen for a sizzle. Fry each jalapeño until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Serve hot!